No announcement yet.

How`s this for an idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you give the train an attack value it will cause unhappiness by being outside the city won't it?

Comment

Well, because there's going to be the "bribing" of the competitor's routes, the government used is probably going to be communism. So then the answer would be "no".

Comment

Lets tackle each point in a random order

I`d intended for the scenario to be set in one of the worlds out of Railroad Tycoon. I`ll probably go for the USA during the 19th century, but if it`s successful I could do more set in other places, like Europe and Britain.

Same goes for the idea about the "established companies": if the normal "start from scratch" scenario is popular, I could always do something like that.

I`m not sure about making trains into pseudo-nukes, but if I gave them an attack strength and one crashed into the other, the company who`s train caused the crash would be fined serverely, and would be less likely to get used (don`t know how I`d do that one though).

Keep the ideas coming.

BTW, if anyone`s interested in drawing any train graphics for the units, do tell me. If no-one is, I`ll give it a go myself using the graphics from Transport Tycoon.

------------------
        "I`m a rugged individualist, just like everyone else".

-Bart Simpson`s Guide to Life
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

<>

In events.txt, set up an event so that when a train is destroyed, the TRIGGERATTACKER is given -100 (or however much you want the fine to be) gold.
          main(i,_){for(!_||(--i,main(i+2,i["FHhhTBFHdhTBFBQT\2TBF&]zRF$hh*:FHhh+&FBIsbDF"]));
          i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_^=_,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Mark -*/

Comment

Just give the unit less movement or less hold space. Or make it cost an arm and a leg to build.

Comment

Mark, I know how to make a civ lose money

What I meant was that I don`t know how to dissuade people from using a certain train company using the CivII engine.

Sorry if it wasn`t very clear what I meant, which is wasn`t!
              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Comment

Um, am I missing something here? Why go through all of this very hard work to make a rail scenario? Railroad Tycoon II is an excellent simulation! Just get a copy and enjoy it! You will never be able to beat its wonderful animated graphics in a static strategy game like Civ2.

- Tim Smith (a steam enthusiast)
                Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

You are missing the point, the idea is to see how far the game engine can be pushed as well as having some fun! Personally I think this is a stonking-ly good idea and look forward to it being finished!

Comment

Well, I have played Railroad Tycoon 2 a few times, and for some reason I much prefered the original, which I do own (on the Amiga, don`t laugh!) And as Miner correctly points out, it`s more to do with having a bit of fun and seeing how much you can accomplish with a game engine not designed to do such a thing!

------------------
                    "I`m a rugged individualist, just like everyone else".

-Bart Simpson`s Guide to Life

Comment

Oh, sorry - now I understand!

The farthest stretch of the Civ2 envelope I have seen was an evolution-themed scenario. Instead of building cities, you develop organisms. In place of city improvements you "grow" organs. I guess the tech tree consists of things like vision and sentience. I didn't actually download this thing, and cannot attest to its quality, but the idea was the most creative I've seen yet in a scenario.

I never played RR Tycoon I, not even on my PC Jr. ;-> Personally, I could do with a lot less of the financial/stock market aspect, but the remarkable look-and-feel make for great mindless fun!

If you want to get an idea of how a train can look in Civ2, check out my patch/modpack "HiRes". When you build the first section of RR track, you see a tiny steam locomotive and train (simple trick with the TERRAIN1 file). That will give you an idea of what you are up against in terms of graphics (think microscopic)!

Best wishes and good luck!
                      - Tim
                      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

I love the original!!!!

I just can't beat the higher levels cos I lost my manual and I have no clue how to play it. Although on easy I can do quite well until the game stops me from expanding anymore. I figured out that the money stops at 30,000,000 pounds when playing on the European map. Stupid Lenin had to come and beat me...

Comment

When you're using ocean to be railroads, you can use the coastline graphics to create a railroad look. I'm not sure, but I thought the ocean graphic in terrain1.gif isn't even used.
                          You could also simulate landslides or other 'disasters' with random 'changeterrain' (or whatever that's called) events, changing railroads to rubble terrain or so. Your engineers should then transform the rubble back to railroad.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I'm not sure, but I thought the ocean graphic in terrain1.gif isn't even used.
                            It is used but only if you zoom the view out quite a bit.

Comment

How long does it take to transform terrain to ocean? Is that something the designer can adjust? I think the player needs to be able to build a railroad in a reasonable amount of time. One turn is a reasonable length of time to build a RR; ten turns is not.

Comment

DISABLE DEMOCRACY!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X